Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How to Get Explosive Results from Social Media From Faster Sharing

If you want to get explosive results from social media, one thing you’ll have to lean heavily on is your ability to be a team player.
You see, one of the top reasons why people do things for you – things like submitting your site to a social bookmarking site – is because they feel you’ve added value to their lives.
If you’re lucky, you already have an audience, and whether it’s small or large, you have people who will share your content because they got value from it.
But that’s not the only reason. That’s handy if you don’t have an audience yet.
Another reason why people will share your content is fairly obvious. At some point, you shared theirs.
That doesn’t mean the world of influence in social media is simply a game of quid pro quo, where if you submit my link, I’ll submit yours. No winking in this article is implied or inferred – I’m being totally serious. If it was as simple as “share to be shared”, you could just go to the top person in the network, share their content and be done with it.
Doesn’t work that way. That top person got where they were because they pleased their audience. And they must keep pleasing that audience if they want to stay there. So they have to stay on topic, with fresh content, that’s not just good, it’s excellent.
That isn’t to say that sharing other people’s articles, videos and blog posts in social bookmarking, news and networking sites doesn’t help. It does. Just don’t plan on seeing dividends from every share you invest, or from the same person.
Having said that, since sharing generously helps, it makes sense to learn how to share better.
The first step to better sharing is faster sharing.
Organization helps dramatically, so it’s a good idea to develop some type of habit in your link sharing, starting with how you gather links, and where you share them.
Personally, I like to start with people who’ve commented on my blog (with legitimate replies, not borderline spam or paid comments), then links people have posted to our Open for Web Business Facebook Group, then links I’ve shared myself on Twitter, Business Week’s Business Exchange, StumbleUpon, or Facebook.
Once I’ve gathered all my links, I split them into groups.
In coming up with your own routine, I can tell you a couple of things that might help from experience.
First, you’ll likely want to save all the links to your favorite social bookmarking site. There’s a general one like Delicious or Furl that will be the place that you want to save every link you ever find.
Then you may find that of those links, there’s a subset that will be remarkable enough to blog about, or submit to social news sites.
Also keep in mind that several of the sites you use reach difference audiences. You’ll find that sharing certain links in multiple places expands the audience the link reaches, even though there may be some overlap.
This is why I continue sharing after I’ve bookmarked. The ones that are relevant to my blog topics, I also splice into my feed or blog, using plug-ins to automate the process.
This is the special group of links I only share on Delicious that get spliced into my site feed as well, as a service to my readers.
Then, I go to Stumble Upon and share the best of the links. I later submit the ones that I don’t see getting deserved attention to social news sites. I also vote on the ones that are already submitted.
This may sound like a lot of work, but the entire ritual takes a few minutes a day. You simply use tools that automate part of the process, that leverage RSS or web applications that let you do more than half of your social media marketing from one place.
When you can share faster, you can share more. When you share more, both a subset of the people whose content you have shared, and the people observing you as a sharer, will help you get one step closer to explosive results from social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment